Thursday 31 January 2013

Django Off-the-chain!

So again this is a day late post, but, again I have a good reason!

Yesterday was like so many of my Wednesdays; brilliant. It started with an early driving lesson (my 6th) where I started doing some reversing and a lot of turning, gear changing and cruising round. Clearly, I can see that clutch control is what needs to be mastered. After my lesson, I zoomed over to Sainsbury's to meet Connor and catch a bus to Wrexham. When the correct bus drove straight past us without stopping we didn't know what was going on but luckily a stroke if genius decided we go to Morrison's bus stop and thankfully the bus there did stop!

The point of our trip was to experience the very much acclaimed new Tarantino film: Django Unchained. At the very least, it met all the high expectations. There are a number of things that make this film a success, these are the big performances - Jamie Foxx begins as an unintelligent and angry-as-hell slave and morphs into an expert bounty hunter with brains but still humanely gets overcome by emotion. Christoph Waltz is a joy to watch, charismatic, frequent use of big words and an excuse for all situations gets him by. DiCaprio plays the villain, he is a villain that apart from all the racism and cruelty is a likeable guy! Finally, Samuel L. Jackson, playing the equivalent of a white man in a very interesting role, manages a crucial impact.

Something this film does excellently is blending. The amount of different genres and labels that could be stuck on it is limitless - there are scenes where all the seriousness drops and it temporarily turns into a full on comedy, then there are scenes where the levels of tension soar and its almost a period drama.

Overall, it is an easy 10/10 and a film that I'd recommend to anyone. After the film at home I was treated to some quality football in the form of Real Madrid vs Barcelona - El Clasico! Also, my Dad was out at Old Trafford for the evening watching Man United open up another 7 point gap at the top of the table against Southampton, in a box!! I was indeed quite jealous!
The weekend saw Bangor's first win in over a month as they beat Connah's Quay 2-0 in the Welsh Cup and again my social levels leapt up as I saw some old faces.
Upcoming this weekend I am to hopefully see England rugby start the Six Nations with a win and check out the Attfield Theatre with 10 friends watching Seven Psychopaths!

Thanks for reading!
-Andy.

No comments:

Post a Comment