Wednesday 24 October 2012

Feeling Down!

Hello people! Please don't refrain to indulge yourself upon this post.

So, Saturday night. October 20th. HMV Institute, Birmingham. Only one thing was happening that night, and that was a night of great music! Doors opened at 6, but we arrived at 7 as we banking on the venue posting a running order and set times on facebook which they never did, so I think we missed Warbeast (the first band). But I wasn't too bothered and the night went on.

By the time Orange Goblin came on (about half seven) the place was pretty much full, and me and Declan found ourselves standing about five yards from the bar. This was silly because everyone going to/from the bar walked past us so we were constantly moving a step forwards and backwards. Orange Goblin were alright, I'd never listened to them before and was impressed with their opener but the entirety of the set list was rather repetitive.

After what felt like an hour waiting for Down to take the stage, me and Dec had advanced into a much better position to witness what we'd come for. Down took the stage to the delight of the audience and from their opener, you could tell it was a special night. Highlights were Lifer, Stone The Crow and Bury Me In Smoke. Everything sounded really good and was expectantly loud, but whenever Phil (Anselmo, frontman) was talking to the audience, no one around us had a clue what he was saying! We just heard muffles.

All in all it was a really good night, I can't remember the last gig I went to before Saturday but I've been reminded with a heavy metal full on right fist to the chin that I need to get out to more gigs, so I intend to do so! (The photograph below is off Down on Saturday, taken by someone on the balcony)

Football wise, all day Saturday I stayed in watching Tottenham vs Chelsea in a manic and very entertaining match, then Man United struggle at first to a nice 4-2 home win over Stoke. I also watched them produce a mad fightback last night against Braga, going 2-0 down at home and winning 3-2. Defensively, they're not strong enough and they need to stop going behind and making matches more difficult than they need to be! Bangor were away at Port Talbot and the journey was just a little too far so I decided against it, they got a 1-1 draw. Shrewsbury are in very bad form at the moment and need some points, they lost on Saturday and again last night. Pick it up boys!

Thanks for reading!
-Andy.

No comments:

Post a Comment