Thursday 26 April 2012

Hygienic Horror!

So, in the two week half term for Easter I pleasantly enjoyed, it seems The Marches School were focusing their efforts on re-designing and recreating the boys' toilets by performing arts. These new toilets are very modern in style, feature a red and blue colour scheme and have got speakers constantly tuned into BBC Shropshire's radio station to lift the atmosphere a bit.

From reading that, you're probably thinking this is very good and people are happy with the changes. Up to this point, you're right; for you see there are a solid row of cubicles that have bottom to ceiling barriers, no urinals and an "open to the corridor" hand washing area (as described in the The Marches' letter subjecting the toilets).

The problem here is, now that everyone is free to observe the males actions after visiting these new cubicles, I have realised just how shocking the hygiene standards in this school are. Today I filled in a tally chart to try and prove my ill-fated suspicions right or wrong, and it turns out that out of a total of 31 students that were counted, 14 did wash their hands after toilet use but an increased and disgusting total of 17 pupils neglected their hygiene.

Personally, I find this very interesting (why these teenagers believe they shouldn't wash their hands) and extremely repulsive. I did a little research and found out that the amount of germs on your fingertips DOUBLE after toilet use - surely this would increase your chances of wanting to clean yourself. This is not just a problem for these foolish and neglecting teens, but for anyone in the school, for say if they do not wash their hands, then in the next lesson are handing out sheets to everyone in the class, the germs have been spread to the innocent and hygiene abiding pupils unfairly.

All this trouble from such a simple and primitive 30 second task. The mentality of such behaviour is truly outrageous and something must be done. Once or twice I have asked those in question why they didn't wash their hands, one student "couldn't be arsed" another simply laughed at me. I'm sorry to waffle on about this but another incident that shocked me was when I commanded one young boy to wash his hands as he blatantly wasn't going to and he looked at me as if I had just instructed him to walk off a cliff.

Again I apologise for such a focused rant, but this really sickens me and I hope the standards improve very soon. If you have any enquiries or comments, please don't hesitate to post them below. Thanks for reading!
-Andy.

1 comment:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree with you Andy!

    ReplyDelete